Students in the Actuarial Program develop a strong foundation in mathematics, and participate in applied courses taught by visiting actuaries. Courses and workshops prepare students for the actuarial exams and other Society of Actuary (SOA) and Casualty Actuary Society (CAS) requirements. The Program’s instructors include credentialed actuaries with many years of experience in industry. Actuarial Program also prepares students for other analytical roles. Some alumni have become hedging analysts at insurance firms; others have moved into risk analyst jobs in banking, supply chain analysis, underwriting and data science. The program offers many career support activities that help students build the critical soft skills necessary for success. Our actuarial students also benefit from on-going interaction with the large, local actuarial and data science community that includes many local program alumni.
The SOA recognizes our program within the Universities and Colleges with Advanced Curriculum. The program helps student prepare for some of the main requirements to become an actuary:
- Strong background in mathematics, statistics, economics, business finance, programming.
- Passing the first few actuarial exams, (about two) while in the program.
- Taking courses approved for Validation by Educational Experience (VEE) credit and pass them with a grade of "B-" or better.
- Getting at least one internship – an actuarial internship is a plus, but data analytics, financial risk and financial analyst internships are very valid.
- Providing Exam preparatory workshops which are led by practicing actuaries from local firms
(Read More at https://www.beanactuary.org/)
What Actuaries Do:
Actuaries analyze the financial consequences of risk. They use mathematics, statistics, computer programming and finance to study uncertain future events. By studying events and determining likely outcomes, actuaries help organizations plan for the future and protect themselves from loss. Actuaries work in many industries, especially in Insurance companies, Consulting firms and Governmental agencies. There are specializations within the field including Life & Retirement, Property & Casualty, Health Care, Data Analytics and Data Science.
Meet Some of Our Alumni